In addition to a wide range of treatment options with custom braces, clear braces, and aligners, Dr. Richter or Dr. de la Torre may also recommend orthodontic appliances in Greeley to address a more complex problem such as an uneven bite. In many cases, we design and fabricate your orthodontic appliance in our office for a custom fit.
Treatment with an appliance may:
- Alleviate the need for a surgical fix to a bite problem, jaw misalignment, or a narrow palate
- Improve long-term orthodontic outcomes by avoiding dental problems that affect both the appearance and function of your smile or your child’s smile as it grows
- Shorten the overall length and cost of your orthodontic treatment
To see if you or a loved one needs an orthodontic appliance, call us today at 970-500-5928. Initial patient consultations are free!
We’ll Recommend The Right Appliance To Solve Your Orthodontic Issues
Dr. Richter has more than two decades of experience improving smiles with orthodontic treatment and a long list of awards, including Best Orthodontist in Greeley. Dr. de la Torre also has extensive training and experience. They will recommend the right appliance to solve problems like a misaligned bite and improve your long-term orthodontic outcome. Treatment options include:
- Forsus Appliance – A common treatment for an overbite or underbite, the spring-loaded Forsus appliance can help move the upper molars back and the lower arch of teeth forward simultaneously. This allows the bite to be realigned for better function and comfort.
- Herbst Appliance – The Herbst appliance is an alternative to headgear. It helps the lower jaw develop in a forward direction, typically closing an overbite and providing a functional, comfortable bite. Some tenderness is likely after the appliance is put in, including gum irritation where the appliance is placed.
- Palatal Expander – Often the first part of two-phase treatment, a palatal expander helps eliminate crossbites and tooth crowding in young patients. After some initial discomfort, treatment is relatively painless. This is an important part of helping children achieve a beautiful, healthy, and functional smile, preventing possible bite problems down the road.
- Lower Lingual Holding Arch – A metal bracket attached to the inside of the teeth, the holding arch prevents permanent molars from shifting forward. This enables crowded teeth time to spread out. Despite some minor discomfort after we insert the appliance, most patients don’t notice it and have no problems with treatment.
- Habit Appliance – A habit appliance can prevent thumb sucking and tongue thrusting in younger patients. It can have several types of configuration depending on the age and needs of your child.
- Lucia Jig – A Lucia jig is placed to deprogram the pterygoid muscle, which can cause a bite disorder such as TMJ. This appliance allows the jaw to relax, reducing associated pain and facilitating healthier alignment.
Expect Comfortable Appliance Adjustments
In most cases, an appliance is well tolerated after some initial discomfort and irritation of the soft tissues of your mouth. Our team will suggest personalized pain management to address these initial side effects, typically an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory.
Contact us right away if you:
- Have concerns about your appliance
- Are experiencing persistent discomfort
- Have a broken appliance
If necessary, we will schedule an emergency visit to address your problem, often the same day.