If you experience chronic jaw pain, you may have a TMJ disorder. This occurs when your jaw joints, called TMJ, become inflamed. Two common causes of this dysfunction are teeth grinding and a misaligned bite. As orthodontists, we can use a custom mouthguard and/or orthodontics for lessening TMJ pain.
The first step in correcting the issues that cause TMJ pain is a consultation in our Greeley, CO office. Call 970-500-5928 today to schedule one. In the meantime, you can try these suggestions for easing your discomfort:
- Avoid Unnecessary Jaw Movements – Avoid putting strain on your jaw whenever you can. For example, don’t chew gum or crunch on ice.
- Practice Good Posture – Be aware of your posture. Avoid activities that result in poor posture, such as having a phone conversation holding a phone between your neck and ear.
- Eat Soft Foods – Stick to softer foods to give your jaw a break from chewing. For instance, eat cooked fruits and vegetables instead of crunching on raw ones.
- Apply Heat and Cold – Ice packs and/or warm towels or washcloths applied to your face can relieve jaw pain. Use either option up to 10 minutes at a time, several times a day if needed.
- Take Medication – To minimize pain and swelling, you can take nonsteroidal inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Good options sold over the counter include aspirin, ibuprofen (like Motrin or Advil), and naproxen (like Aleve).