If you’ve taken advantage of professional teeth whitening at Richter Orthodontics, you’ve seen results brighter than anything you can get from drugstore products. Our in-office and at-home treatments are among the most affordable ways to keep your smile looking its best. You’ll want to keep teeth looking white as long as possible.
Fortunately, it’s not too hard! Try our tips for maintaining your beautiful results:
- Quit Smoking – Nicotine stains teeth, giving them a yellow appearance. Over time, it darkens to a brown color. Nicotine staining is more difficult to remove than other kinds of stains. We know it’s tough to stop smoking, but your teeth will look better if you do. Your overall oral health will improve too. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, smokers are twice as susceptible to gum disease as non-smokers.
- Get Professional Cleanings – Your dental team will polish your teeth as part of professional cleanings, which removes many surface stains. To keep your teeth looking great, schedule cleanings with your dentist every six months.
- Limit Staining Substances – Sadly, many foods and drinks stain teeth. The list includes coffee, red wine, berries, tomato-based sauces, and more. It’s best to brush after enjoying them. If that’s not possible, rinse your mouth out with water. Use a straw while drinking staining beverages to help minimize contact with your teeth.
- Don’t Brush Too Hard – Use an easy touch while brushing. Overly vigorous brushing can damage your enamel to the point where the dentin inside your teeth becomes visible. If this happens, your teeth will look yellow. Always use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Consider trying an electric brush, which applies more even pressure to teeth.
- Drink More Water – Drink lots of water because it’s great at rinsing away staining substances. And increase your consumption of fresh fruits and veggies like apples, carrots, and celery. Because they contain plenty of water and fiber too, they work almost like natural toothbrushes to clean your teeth.
- Use Whitening Toothpaste – We can recommend some whitening toothpastes for you to try. Or mix up a homemade whitening formula: a bit of baking soda mixed with a little hydrogen peroxide until it forms a paste. Brush gently for two minutes and leave it on your teeth for another minute or two. The soda makes the paste abrasive, so don’t use it more than once a week.